Sunday, January 31, 2010

Library as a System

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am still trying to get used to the many, many models of instructional design--but something I do understand are definitions!

When thinking to systems, suprasystems, and subsystems, there are a variety of ways librarians can consider these terms in the context of our profession. Not intentionally dismissing the field of librarianship as a whole, for my context I will be referring strictly to Syracuse University.

The System: Syracuse University and it's goals for Scholarship in Action
The Suprasystem:The various libraries (e.g. Bird Library, MLK, Science and Technology, Math, etc.)
The Subsystem: The specific department of The Learning Commons in Bird Library.

I am still considering my model, and I'm not sure if it will be focused on users, or staff...but it will be definitely be specific to the department in which I work: The Learning Commons of Bird Library. I have also defined the system as the University, the suprasystem as the libraries on campus, and the subsystem as one specific department in the entire system because I'm thinking specifically of the self evaluation I'm writing now as a staff member. Not only do I have to consider how what I'm doing on a daily basis affects my immediate department, but my duties should also correlate with the library and University's goals.

1 comment:

  1. Think of models as just one person's (or a group's) perspective - here is something we are investigating and this is how we see the parts/pieces/subsystems/variables/constructs working together (this is what we think is going on).

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete